Fairview Container Terminal
Phase II North Expansion
Fairview Container Terminal is located in Prince Rupert, on the West Coast of British Columbia. It was the first dedicated intermodal (ship to rail) container terminal in North America when it began operation in 2007, and has grown to become a major trans-Pacific trade gateway reputable for its speed and reliability.
Through an agreement with the Prince Rupert Port Authority, Maher Terminals Holding Corporation of New Jersey operated the terminal from its opening until 2015, when DP World Canada purchased the right to operate the terminal. The original design capacity of the terminal was 500,000 TEU. However effective management and an efficient workforce have seen throughput grow to 776,412 TEUs in 2015.
During Phase I development, a 360 metre section of the existing wharf was widened by 20m on a pile supported apron structure and the existing 24 hectare terminal was rebuilt and reconfigured. Phase II includes both a northern and southern expansion of the terminal. Cullen Grummitt & Roe UK (CGR) prepared the detailed design of the Phase II North expansion of the terminal, with phase 2A complete the project expanded the wharf to 800m in length and increased throughout capacity to 1.35 million TEUs per annum.
With a design life of 50 years,
the expansion comprises of:
- Dredging and construction of a 155m long and 40m wide piled concrete wharf.
- Reclamation of 3ha of land at the north end of the terminal.
- Modification of the Small Craft Harbours breakwater and float. Widening 250m of wharf from the existing northern caisson structure by 20m.
- Addition of 36m to the southern apron structure.
- Construction of mooring dolphin and walkway.
- Excavation/construction of a container park east of the terminal.
- Upgrade of rail capacity and installation of additional rails and cranes on the new wharf extension.
- Engineering Design / Project Management: Cullen Grummitt & Roe
- Geotechnical Sub Consultant: Golder Associates
- PRPA’s Peer Detail Design Review: Moffatt and Nichol
Main Works Include:
- Site Clearing and Demolition
- Dredging and Disposal
- Rock/Mountain Cut
- Reclamation and Rock Bund
- Caisson Wharf
- Pavement and Services
- Dolphins and Walkway
- Electrical Infrastructure
- Intermodal Rail Yard
Project Critical Path
Project Critical Updates
Ridley to Fairview