The Port of Prince Rupert is located on the scenic North Coast of British Columbia. As Canada’s second largest West Coast port, the Port is strategically situated on the Pacific Rim, with the deepest natural harbour in North America and direct connections to the North American continent by CN Rail’s network reach. Its facilities include modern, high-throughput coal and grain terminals, two cruise terminals and an innovative, intermodal container terminal anchoring the fastest and most reliable trade corridor on the West Coast.
Prince Rupert is home to amazing wildlife and wilderness adventures, unique history and cultural experiences, and the spectacular scenery of the rugged Coast Mountain Range and the Great Bear Rainforest. Easily accessible by air, rail, cruise ship, ferry or car, Prince Rupert’s attractions include First Nation cultural works of art, fine North Coast galleries and boutiques, parks and walking trails, restaurants, and coffee shops. A balanced lifestyle might include enjoying a round of golf on the golf course or spending time out on the water kayaking, fishing, or taking in the scenery. Reasonable housing costs, organized sports, volunteer opportunities, modern recreation facilities, community groups and festivals all contribute to a comfortable and fulfilling lifestyle for those living in this community.
Watch video clip of Prince Rupert at: https://vimeo.com/259248722
Reporting to the Manager, Finance, the Financial Accountant is accountable for the accurate and timely preparation of journal entries, various reconciliations, supporting the month-end close process including supporting other accounting staff, recommending improvements to internal processes, and completing ad-hoc projects as directed.
This position will also assist with ensuring that all A/P, A/R and Capital Asset batches are correct and prepared in accordance with Port policy.
MAJOR POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Prepares month-end journal entries and assists the Manager, Finance on journal entries, when required.
- Assists with maintaining and updating the Capital Asset sub-ledger and supporting files by reviewing all submissions and expenditures. In addition, this position will liaise with other internal departments to ensure fixed assets are recorded in alignment with IAS 16 Property, Plant and Equipment.
- Assists with posting and reviewing of processes for A/P, A/R, and Capital Asset transactions and ensuring all necessary controls are in place.
- Working with the Manager, Finance, develops detailed revenue and expense reports that support the organization’s internal financial statements.
- In conjunction with the Manager, Finance, works closely with the Project Development Department, to help create, maintain, and distribute a monthly Board report that outlines the variances to both Scope and Budget from the original Board Submission for all major Capital projects that are completed during the month.
- Working closely with the Manager, Finance, develops proposals on best practices in Accounting policies and work procedures.
- Together with the Manager of Finance, develops, implements, and maintains a purchase order system which best meets the needs of the entire organization and provides information in a timely and accurate manner.
- As an internal customer service representative, provides training and responds to queries from all departments in respect of PRPA’s purchasing guidelines and procedures (including expense claims).
- Working with the Manager, Finance, assist with increasing the level of data integrity of transactions stored in the financial system (ex. Ensuring completeness and accuracy of customer and vendor information, closing out PO’s when projects are completed etc.)
- Prepares for and participates in the internal and external audits of PRPA as well as the five-year special examination.
- Completes research assignments on behalf of the Manager, Finance and others, as required.
- Works predominantly in an office environment.
- Regular, full-time position (37.5 hours per week).
- Regular working hours are Mondays to Fridays, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM with 1 hour lunch break (unpaid).
- Post-secondary education in the Accounting or Business-related field.
- Currently enrolled in the Chartered Professional Accountants designation program (CPA) with preference being given to newly qualified designates.
3 to 5 years’ experience in industry
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail is essential.
- Must be able to coordinate tasks efficiently and effectively, and the ability to prioritize, multi-task, work under pressure and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in performing detailed reconciliations and a proficient understanding of accounting principles.
- Ability to exercise tact, good judgment and discretion, and work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong initiative, work ethics and integrity required.
- Able to obtain security clearance under Transport Canada’s Security Clearance Program.
Individuals of Indigenous descent are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application in confidence by Monday, January 24, 2022 to:
Director, Human Resources
Prince Rupert Port Authority
200 – 215 Cow Bay Road
Prince Rupert, B.C., V8J 1A2
Fax: (250) 627-8980
No telephone inquiries please.
Other career opportunities
Senior In-House Counsel
PRPA is seeking a contract lawyer for the next twelve months to better manage the expected legal needs of the port through 2023. Reporting to the General Counsel, this is a dynamic role covering commercial and corporate matters, marine and environmental law, regulatory affairs and aboriginal consultation and engagement.
Visit the following link for more information and instructions on how to apply: https://www.smithlegalsearch.com/opportunities/job-board/?rpid=589464&postid=_lDDt9yDRMk