The Port of Prince Rupert is located on the scenic North Coast of British Columbia. As Canada’s second largest West Coast port, the Port is strategically situated on the Pacific Rim, with the deepest natural harbour in North America and direct connections to the North American continent by CN Rail’s network reach. Its facilities include modern, high-throughput coal and grain terminals, two cruise terminals and an innovative, intermodal container terminal anchoring the fastest and most reliable trade corridor on the West Coast.
Prince Rupert is home to amazing wildlife and wilderness adventures, unique history and cultural experiences, and the spectacular scenery of the rugged Coast Mountain Range and the Great Bear Rainforest. Easily accessible by air, rail, cruise ship, ferry or car, Prince Rupert’s attractions include First Nation cultural works of art, fine North Coast galleries and boutiques, parks and walking trails, restaurants, and coffee shops. A balanced lifestyle might include enjoying a round of golf on the golf course or spending time out on the water kayaking, fishing, or taking in the scenery. Reasonable housing costs, organized sports, volunteer opportunities, modern recreation facilities, community groups and festivals all contribute to a comfortable and fulfilling lifestyle for those living in this community.
Watch video clip of Prince Rupert at: https://vimeo.com/259248722
Reporting to the Director, Finance, the Manager, Finance is accountable for the accurate and timely preparation of all the Port’s financial statements, monthly reconciliations of all Balance Sheet accounts, and oversight of the organization’s capital assets.
This position is key in supporting the maintenance of both the BC365 Accounting and Klein billing systems, ensuring they are up-to-date and addressing any issues with these systems (in conjunction with the Director, Finance and the IT Department) in a timely and efficient manner.
MAJOR POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Prepares all internal and external financial statements in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensures all month-end and year-end journal entries are posted in an accurate and timely matter.
- Provides oversight and leadership concerning the Capital Asset sub-ledger and ensures that capitalized assets are documented and appropriately amortized on a regular basis when necessary.
- In collaboration with the Accounting Coordinator develops and recommends new monthly and/or quarterly Capital Asset reports that will provide benefits to the Organization for the Director, Finance approval.
- Prepares in a timely and accurate manner all monthly and/or quarterly variance reports (Capital Projects, WIP, Major expense accounts) and all operating and capital budget input documents for distribution during the organization’s annual budget process.
- Prepares detailed revenue and expense data bases that supports the organization’s internal financial statements and strategic direction.
- With support of both the External Auditor and Assurance & Financial Services Manager, prepares memorandums for the organization’s accounting treatment under IFRS for key transactions entered into by PRPA.
- Assists the Director, Finance in preparation of annual planning documents, system reviews, and miscellaneous projects by analyzing, interpreting, and evaluating financial information and policies.
- In collaboration with the Manager, Assurance & Financial Services, develops proposals on best practices in Accounting policies and procedures for the Director, Finance and Executive to approve.
- Maintains and reconciles the General Ledger and bank account of Prince Rupert Terminals Inc.
- Provides oversight, guidance and reviews all transactions and reconciliations for the Harbour Debris Society.
- Is responsible for the maintenance and reporting of any funding agreements that the Port executes during a given year and for the life of the agreement for multi-year projects.
- Maintains accounting process documentation and accounting forms for use of the organization.
- Trains new accounting department employees, as required.
- In a coverage capacity only, undertakes the core day-to-day duties of the Manager, Assurance & Financial Services.
- Completes assignments on behalf of the Director, Finance, and others, as required.
- Works predominantly in an office environment.
- Regular, full-time position (37.5 hours per week).
- Regular working hours are Mondays to Fridays, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM with 1 hour lunch break (unpaid).
Professional Canadian accounting designation (CPA-CMA, CPA-CGA or CPA-CA)
5 to 7 years’ experience in industry
- Self-motivated with strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to consistently exercise a high level of professional judgement and independence
- Embraces and thrives on change
- Full and complete knowledge of the Microsoft BC365 General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, & Capital Asset Modules
- Sound knowledge of both computers and MS Office, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Thrives in high-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills
- Able to obtain security clearance under Transport Canada’s Security Clearance Program
Individuals of Indigenous descent are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application in confidence by Monday, January 24, 2022 to:
Director, Human Resources
Prince Rupert Port Authority
200 – 215 Cow Bay Road
Prince Rupert, B.C., V8J 1A2
Fax: (250) 627-8980
No telephone inquiries please.