• In collaboration with gateway operations and business development teams, works with project proponents in their project investigation and development activities including site selection, project feasibility planning, gateway master plan integration, and project construction coordination.
• Works closely with V.P.s, Operations & Planning and Trade Development & Communications, in the development of start-up plans for all Port projects and ensures that projects during the planning phase stay on track and meet the intended strategic objective.
• Oversees the engineering design of the Port’s Master Gateway Rail, Road and Infrastructure Plan with tenants and project proponents.
• Leads the review of development projects within the Port of Prince Rupert to ensure the planning, design, engineering and operations meet appropriate building codes, standards of safety, risk management parameters and comply with all applicable Port Policies, laws and regulations necessary to meet the Prince Rupert Port Authority’s authorization.
• In conjunction with Director, Environmental Planning & Compliance, ensures that engineering design is based upon environmental sustainability objectives and project authorization mitigation requirements.
• Manages in conjunction with the Director, Infrastructure & Delivery, the tendering and bid evaluation activities required to seek Board and or Executive approval for award of contract(s).
• In conjunction with the Director, Infrastructure & Delivery, ensures that all projects are costed and scoped appropriately given the nature and timing of the project; ensures appropriate engineering design, site and environmental risk allowances are captured in budget contingencies.
• In conjunction with Vice President, Commercial & Regulatory Affairs and Director, Infrastructure & Delivery, assists with Construction Contractor contract price and terms and conditions negotiation.
• Negotiates consultant service contracts.
• Ensures that consultant service contracts track budget and schedule.
• Directs the selection process of engineering and risk assessment consultants engaged by the Port.
• Supports and encourages safe works practices and ensures employees have required training and certification. Supports environmentally conscious development and construction. Proactively addresses any issues that arise.
• Provides inputs into the development of the Strategic Business Plan.
• Develops and implements policies, strategic initiatives, and budgets for the Infrastructure & Engineering and Asset Management Departments.
• Prepare submissions for presentation to Board of Directors by executive management.
• Trains, develops, and motivates employees.
• Certified operator with BC Water Wastewater Association, in particular water and wastewater treatment.
• Journeyman in the mechanical/millwright/fabrication/building disciplines is an asset.
• Certification in rail maintenance.
• Experience in operating small vessels, forklift, barge loading ramps, and other Port-related equipment is an asset.
- Good practical skills to operate a range of hand and power tools and test equipment.
- Good computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to read and follow drawings, schematics, and technical manuals.
- Able to follow instructions.
- Methodical approach to work practices and the ability to take accurate measurements.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to apply the applicable Canadian Codes.
- Committed to keep current with industry developments.
- Able to work independently without close, direct supervision.
- Good spoken and written communications skills.
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance software is an asset.
- Positive attitude.
- Physically able to perform heavy lifting, pull heavy objects, and climb ladders.
- Possesses normal colour vision.
- Values diversity.
- Able to obtain security clearance under Transport Canada’s Security Clearance Program.
- Demonstrated commitment to PRPA’s Vision and Mission.
- Minimum valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
Submit Your Resume
Individuals of aboriginal descent are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates are requested to submit their application in confidence by January 06, 2020 (Monday) to: Director, Human Resources Prince Rupert Port Authority 200 – 215 Cow Bay Road Prince Rupert, B.C., V8J 1A2 Fax: (250) 627-8980 Email: email@example.com No telephone inquiries please.