Human Resources Assistant
Human Resources Assistant
The Human Resources Assistant provides support to the Human Resources Department in the delivery of services, policies and programs of the Department. In particular, the incumbent provides support in the area of Recruitment & Selection, Human Resources Records Management, Training & Development, Employee Communications, Compensation & Benefits Administration, Employee Performance Management, and Employee Reward & Recognition.
MAJOR POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES
Recruitment & Selection
- Provides support in the recruitment and selection process, including acknowledging and tracking all job applications received, circulating applications to the hiring manager, and arranging interviews.
- Manages the Port’s “Careers” email account.
- Provides support in the on-boarding of new hires to the organization.
- Prepares itinerary and coordinates visits of out-of-town job candidates to Prince Rupert.
- Assists out-of-town new hires in sourcing for professional household movers and in search for temporary accommodation in Prince Rupert.
HR Records Management
- Updates and maintains the Human Resources Management System database and all employee records and files. Ensures employee records and files are maintained in accordance with statutory requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Updates on a regular basis the Staff Emergency Contact Information.
- Provides support in the administration of the Annual Employee Engagement Survey and Employee Council meetings.
- Updates and maintains PRPA organizational charts and upload to FileHold for reference by all employees on a regular basis.
HR Policy Development
- Provides support in the updates and maintenance of the Employee Handbook and the Managers Tool Kit.
- Maintains database of HR Guidelines and Policies & Procedures. Ensures new/revised HR policies and related HR Forms are uploaded to FileHold for reference by all employees when required.
- Actively seeks out employees to develop and promote trust and team spirit in the organization.
Employee Performance Management
- Assists in the maintenance of all documentations pertaining to the Staff Performance Evaluation Plan (PEP) and Staff Variable Incentive Plan (VIP).
- Maintains database of position descriptions.
- Assists in the participation in external compensation and benefits surveys.
- Provides support in the administration of the Employee Annual Performance Management System.
- Provides support in the documentation and administration of the Job Evaluation Program.
- Actively participates as a member of the Social & Recreation Committee (SRC) in organizing social and recreational activities for staff and family members.
- Coordinates the sending of flowers or fruit baskets to employees away on sick leave.
Employee Rewards & Recognition
- Administers the Long Service Award Program.
- Organizes farewell parties for departing employees, including sourcing for appropriate farewell gifts for employees leaving the organization.
- Supports the organization’s change efforts. Interacts with, and influences employees to positively embrace organizational and technological changes.
Strategic Human Resources Management
- Provides support in preparation of the HR Dashboard.
- Works on special HR projects assigned by the Director, Human Resources (for example, designing and coordinating HR-specific on-line employee surveys).
Training and Development
- Provides support in the employee training and development database.
- Works predominately in an office environment.
- Regular, full-time position (37.5 hours per week). Regular working hours are Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, with one-hour lunch break (unpaid).
- Diploma in Business Administration or related discipline.
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources is an asset.
- One to three years’ related experience.
- Experience working with a computerized Human Resources Management System is an asset.
- Basic knowledge of related labour laws.
- Enjoys working with people.
- Patient, diplomatic and approachable .
- Good judgment and tact in dealing with sensitive issues and confidential information.
- Good attention to details and able to multi-task.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated. Works well individually as well as in a team environment.
- Resilient. Embraces and thrives on change.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Teams.
- Provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Health Canada.
- Able to obtain security clearance under Transport Canada’s Security Clearance Program.
- Possess valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence.
Individuals of Indigenous descent are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application in confidence by July 15, 2022 (Fri).
Director, Human Resources
Prince Rupert Port Authority
200 – 215 Cow Bay Road
Prince Rupert, B.C., V8J 1A2
Fax: (250) 627-8980
No telephone inquiries please.