GATEWAY OPERATOR (Eighteen Month Maternity Leave Coverage)
(Eighteen Month Maternity Leave Coverage)
The Port of Prince Rupert is located on the scenic North Coast of British Columbia. As Canada’s second largest West Coast port, the Port is strategically situated on the Pacific Rim, with the deepest natural harbour in North America and direct connections to the North American continent by CN Rail’s network reach. Its facilities include modern, high-throughput coal and grain terminals, two cruise terminals and an innovative, intermodal container terminal anchoring the fastest and most reliable trade corridor on the West Coast.
Prince Rupert is home to amazing wildlife and wilderness adventures, unique history and cultural experiences, and the spectacular scenery of the rugged Coast Mountain Range and the Great Bear Rainforest. Easily accessible by air, rail, cruise ship, ferry or car, Prince Rupert’s attractions include First Nation cultural works of art, fine North Coast galleries and boutiques, parks and walking trails, restaurants, and coffee shops. A balanced lifestyle might include enjoying a round of golf on the golf course or spending time out on the water kayaking, fishing, or taking in the scenery. Reasonable housing costs, organized sports, volunteer opportunities, modern recreation facilities, community groups and festivals all contribute to a comfortable and fulfilling lifestyle for those living in this community.
Watch video clip of Prince Rupert at: https://vimeo.com/259248722
Reporting to the Manager, Safety & Security & the Manager, Marine Operations, the Gateway Operator is responsible for the daily monitoring, reporting and operation of the PRPA Gateway. The Gateway Operator conducts marine, security and road/rail operations duties with support and guidance from the Manager, Marine Operations & Manager, Safety & Security. The Gateway Operator is also responsible for various administrative tasks such as permit approvals, declarations of security, and the management of the harbour schedule.
MAJOR POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Maintains awareness of all marine activity via radar, AIS, cameras and internet tools.
- Ensures that procedures for transportation and storage of dangerous goods and explosives within port limits are maintained and monitor compliance with such procedures.
- Ensures continuous monitoring of vessel movements within the Port, including the assigning of berths and anchorages.
- Assists in the smooth & efficient turn-around of all vessels calling on the Port by working closely with shipping agents, and all Federal, and local partners.
- Approve all gateway operations permits such as dangerous goods, dive, hot work, and paint.
- Monitors and maintains access control and security through the gateway via PRPA security systems and related hardware.
- Monitors VHF traffic works closely with Marine Communications &Traffic Services for timely response to marine related emergencies.
- Acts as a deckhand onboard PRPA vessels as directed by the Supervisor, Marine Operations
- Supports PRPA activities pertaining to habour or at-sea access including Port-sponsored tours, environmental assessments, projects assessments or others as directed.
- Responsible for all daily reports, incident reporting and communication to Gateway Operations Management.
- Administration of Operational Dashboards, tables, graphs, analytics and other reports to stakeholders and partners.
- Responsible for the initiation of the Incident Command process for safety, emergency, marine and security related incidents. This position would play of the role of first responder to any safety or security incidences effecting port operations.
- Administration of Klein Port Information Management software, and Avigilon Control Management (ACM) and Avigilon Control Centre (ACC) cameras and card access software.
- Provides cruise ship operations support on behalf of Gateway Operations. Duties such as ordering lines, security interface with declaration of security, staffing Securiguard personnel, signage and request for water.
- Assists in management of Securiguard contractor personnel, day to day operations, cruise ship operations and extra coverage.
- Responsible for training and support of the Securiguard contractor personnel.
- Performs other duties and projects as directed or assigned.
- Works in an office environment
- Shift work rotation, 11 hours in length, 1 week on, 1 week off
- Nightshift/Graveyard shifts during rotation
- Rotations on PRPA Vessel, working on water
- Field work
- Basic Security Training
- BC Security License
- Marine First Aid
- Marine Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- ICS 100
- ICS 200
- EOC Scribe
- EOC Essentials
- Marine Facility Security Officer
- Restricted Marine Radio Certificate (M-ROC)
- Post-Secondary Education
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years’ of customer service related experience. Dispatch, administration, receptionist experience also considered an asset.
- Mariner experience considered an asset.
- SVOP (Small Vessel Operator Proficiency) considered an asset.
- SVMO (Small Vessel Machinery Operator) considered an asset.
- Good spoken and written communication skills.
- Good customer service skills.
- Good analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Good judgment and tact in dealing with sensitive issues and confidential information.
- Good relationship building skills. Able to establish and maintain effective working relationship with all levels of employees.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated. Works well individually as well as in a team environment.
- Proficient in MS Office, especially Microsoft Outlook & Excel.
- Possess a valid Class 5, or equivalent driver’s license and be willing to provide driver’s abstract.
- Able to obtain a valid Marine Medical Certificate from Transport Canada.
- Able to obtain a security clearance under Transport Canada’s Security Clearance Program.
Individuals of aboriginal descent are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application in confidence by October 3, 2021 (Sunday) to:
Director, Human Resources
Prince Rupert Port Authority 200 – 215 Cow Bay Road
Prince Rupert, B.C., V8J 1A2
Fax: (250) 627-8980
No telephone inquiries please.